Wednesday 16 January 2013

First Post

I have been on summer holiday for many weeks now and have had more time than usual to read all the good maths blogs I usually follow. It just struck me that it was time I started blogging about my experiences also. I did my teacher training in England, then taught at the British School in Oman and a school in the Cayman Islands before we moved to Brisbane, Australia. I am American and went to International Schools overseas as a kid before my family moved back to the US where I went to high school and University. This has given me a view of many different schools and education systems. I have now been teaching in Australia for a year and am slowly getting used to the Queensland and Australian system. All this moving around has inspired me to take a little bit from lots of different systems and schools. I hope to share some of what I have found, learned and seen in my teaching.

For Christmas I got an ipad mini, my first apple device or tablet of any kind. This has also gotten me excited about how I can use this new tool to help me in my teaching. All the students in years 10-12 at the private school where I teach have a laptop. This has also been a new experience for me in how to better integrate the technology we have into my maths teaching. I have always taught senior school maths, years 6-12 (years 7-13 in the English system.) My children both just finished their Prep year here and start year 1 in a couple weeks.  It has been fun for me to see how they learn and develop their maths skills. It is a very different perspective on learning maths compared to what I am used to in senior school.

I hope to use this blog to reflect on my teaching and the tools I try out or use, as well as my experiences as the parent of two year 1 students as they follow their maths path. I appreciate your input and guidance as I have been inspired by so many teachers who blog on their maths journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment